SDSU Backyard Tailgating is intended to complement the enjoyment of Jackrabbit football fans by providing a social gathering area prior to the game. Alumni, current students, family and friends can enjoy the tailgating tradition of cooking out, playing catch and relaxing before a game. Although alcohol is allowed, the focus of this area is to connect with other Jackrabbit fans. To ensure this program provides a positive social environment, the following policies will be enforced by the University Police Department and the Athletic Department.
1) The YELLOW LOT, directly north of Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, is designated as reserved tailgating only. The only vehicles allowed into the Reserved Lot will be those that have purchased a reserved spot prior to the game on a season basis or single game (based on availability.) Prices and sizes are listed below. There will be no spots sold on game day.
2) An auxiliary lot that will be located in the grass area north of the SDSU Wellness Center [across the street to the south of Coughlin-Alumni Stadium]. This area will be the location of the Beef Bowl barbecue, and other group tailgating.
3) The BLUE LOT is a paved priority parking only lot that includes tailgating. Only season ticket holders, qualifying members of the Jackrabbit Club, and handicap vehicles (with proper identification) qualify to enter the lot. Parking spaces within the Blue Lot are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Blocking or saving spaces is prohibited.
4) The GREY and BLACK LOTS are designated as paved, non-reserved parking lots. Tailgating is allowed within these lots on a first-come, first-served basis. Blocking or saving spaces is prohibited; fans who wish to tailgate together should arrive together. Passes for Grey and Black lots are valid for vehicles only at a cost of $5 each. Vehicles must fit between standard parking space dimensions of 9 feet wide x 18 feet long. Only one parking space is allowed per vehicle. For your safety and the safety of others, tailgate occupants are not allowed to block driving lanes and are not allowed to throw balls, Frisbees, or other objects in the tailgate area.
Paved Lot Tailgating Considerations: Tailgating in the paved parking lots (Blue, Grey, and Black) must follow the tailgate policies established by the SDSU Athletic Department and the University Police Department. All tailgating activities in ALL lots, must be done within these designated lots. All tailgating activities, including the consumption of alcohol outside of these designated lots is prohibited. Alcohol may not be carried outside the parking lots.
1. For all evening games, all tailgating lots will open five (5) hours prior to kick off. For allafternoon games, the tailgate lots will open four (4) hours prior to kick off.
2. All tailgating lots will close at game time. Closing time will be enforced by the SDSU Athletic Department and University Police Department. All lots will remain closedthroughout the game and post game.
3. Buyers/Owners of Vehicles are responsible for the behavior and safety of all fans tailgating with their vehicle or assigned spot.
4. Vehicles may be left in the tailgating lot and participants may return to their vehicle to retrieve items and leave the event. All furniture must be removed from the tailgate lots within one hour after the conclusion of the football game.
5. The tailgate lots will be patrolled by the University Police Department (UPD).
6. Parking on the softball field, baseball field, and the football practice field is strictly prohibited. Vehicles parked in those areas will be towed at the owner’s expense.
7. A trash deposit is not required, but tailgaters are required to clean their areas at the conclusion of each football game. Tailgaters leaving excessive trash will forfeit all tailgating privileges for the remainder of the season.
8. UPD, University Administration, and the SDSU Athletic Department can remove anyone from tailgating lots for violations of any of these policies or for actions inappropriate to the tailgating environment and will result in forfeiting all reservations and a ban from all tailgating lots. No Refunds will be awarded.
9. All persons tailgating are required to sign an assumption of risk form indicating they have read and understand South Dakota Law and SDSU policies.
The State of South Dakota law including, but not limited to, statutes concerning alcohol and drugs will be enforced by the University Police Department.
a.) The State of South Dakota (SDCL) has set the minimum drinking age at 21 years old. Anyone found consuming alcohol younger than this minimum age will be arrested and charged with underage consumption.
b.) The State of South Dakota (SDCL) has made it unlawful to provide alcohol to minors. Anyone furnishing alcohol to minors will be arrested and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
c.) South Dakota (SDCL) law makes it illegal to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Anyone operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content greater than .08 will be arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated.
d.) South Dakota (SDCL) law does not permit unsealed alcohol containers in motor vehicles. Anyone who has an unsealed container in vehicle will be arrested and charged with an open container violation.
e.) South Dakota (SDCL) makes it illegal for any person to intentionally cause serious public inconvenience, annoyance, to alarm to any other person, or creates a risk thereof by fighting, making unreasonable noise, disturbing any lawful assembly or obstructing any vehicular or pedestrian traffic. Anyone found in violation will be arrested for Class 1 Disorderly Conduct.
f.) Brookings City Ordinance (BCL 58-161) makes it unlawful for any person to urinate or defecate in public, other than when using a toilet, urinal, or commode located in a restroom, bathroom, or other structure enclosed from public view. Anyone found in violation will be arrested and charged with BCL Disorderly Conduct.