Jacks Set for NCAA West Regional/WWC Championships
Last Time Out: With a chance to win its first dual conference championship in its Division I era, SDSU dropped its regular-season finale to North Dakota State, 32-12, in the final dual in the Bison Sports Arena in Fargo. Ben Gillette, Eric Orozco and Cody Pack all won their respective matches against the Bison.
In the Polls: Four Jackrabbits are ranked as the NCAA released it qualifier allocations for the NCAA Championships last week. Cody Pack (157) is the highest-ranked Rabbit, coming in at No.16 in the coaches’ rankings and No. 17 in RPI. Alex Kocer (149) and Joe Brewster (165) remained in the rankings as Kocer sits at No. 24 according to the coaches and No. 32 in RPI, while Brewster is ranked No. 27 and No. 30 in the respective polls. John Nething II (174) made his debut in the final rankings, coming in at No. 33 in both polls.
Scouting the NCAA West Regional/WWC Championships: The WWC received 15 allocation spots and had 21 wrestlers ranked in the final poll. 125, 157 and 184 each received two spots, while 165 had three, with the rest of the weight classes only garnered the championship spot. Of the 21 WWC wrestlers ranked, Wyoming led the way with six, while NDSU had four to go with four Jackrabbits in the polls. The list of ranked WWC wrestlers include:
- 125 - Josh Martinez (Air Force)
- 125 - Tyler Cox (Wyoming)
- 125 - Trey Andrews (Northern Colorado)
- 141 - Avery Garner (Utah Valley)
- 141 - Cole Mendenhall (Wyoming)
- 149 - Alex Kocer (South Dakota State)
- 157 - Cody Pack (South Dakota State)
- 157 - Andy McCulley (Wyoming)
- 157 - Mitchell Polkowske (Northern Colorado)
- 165 - Steven Monk (North Dakota State)
- 165 - Dakota Friesth (Wyoming)
- 165 - Joe Brewster (South Dakota State)
- 174 - Hayden Zillmer (North Dakota State)
- 174 - John Nething II (South Dakota State)
- 184 - Benjamin Stroh (Wyoming)
- 184 - Kurtis Julson (North Dakota State)
- 197 - Shane Woods (Wyoming)
- 197 - Tyler Lehmann (North Dakota State)
- 285 - Adam Fager (Utah Valley)
- 285 - Evan Knutson (North Dakota State)
- 285 - Henry Chirino (Northern Colorado)
Looking Ahead: Qualifiers from the NCAA West Regional/WWC Championships will continue their season at the NCAA Wrestling Championships in Oklahoma City, Okla., on March 20-22 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Program History: 2013-14 marks the 65th season of Jackrabbit wrestling. SDSU owns a 507-351-22 (.589) program record. Chris Bono is the 12th coach in Jackrabbit history and owns a 50-37 career (.575). SDSU has won six conference championships, with the last coming in 1996-97.