Steffen nominated for Good Works Team
South Dakota State University senior Jake Steffen is one of 132 college football players to be nominated for the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. The award, which is presented in conjunction with the American Football Coaches Association, recognizes the selfless contributions to volunteerism and community service made by college football student-athletes across the nation.
A native of Mount Vernon, S.D., Steffen has been involved with a number of community service projects in recent years as a member of the Jackrabbit football team, including:
• Installing concrete to complete the installation of a new playground in a Brookings city park;
• Working with a local church to load solar ovens for shipment to Haiti;
• Serving meals at the Harvest Table, which provides a weekly, no-cost meal to people in need;
• Sandbagging at Lake Poinsett, an area lake which has had many homes damaged or threatened by flooding the past two years;
• Volunteering for the annual Willie Mac youth basketball tournament;
• Reading at local elementary schools
In addition, Steffen has participated in a number of other community service events as a member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) at South Dakota State University, including: collecting and transporting items for food drive, organizing and setting up the annual Halloween Penny Carnival and helping with setup for a community pancake feed.
From the nominees submitted by sports information directors across the nation on behalf of their schools, a special voting panel consisting of former Good Works Team members and prominent college football media members will select two 11-player Good Works Teams — one comprising of players from the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision and another representing players from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision, Divisions II, III and the NAIA. The 22 student-athletes named to the 2011 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team will be announced in late September.