SDSU Hosts Jackrabbits Invitational
BROOKINGS, S.D.—Riding a three-match winning streak, the South Dakota State volleyball team hosts the Jackrabbits Invitational this weekend. SDSU meets Stephen F. Austin Friday at noon in its home opener.
The Jackrabbits enter the week with a 3-1 record after finishing second in the Hawk’s Holiday Hullabaloo in Princess Anne, Md., Aug. 29-30. SDSU beat Weber State, UMES and Fairleigh Dickinson, 3-0, but lost its season opener to UMBC, 3-0.
South Dakota State freshman and all-tournament selection Ashley Beaner (Sioux Falls) led the Jacks’ attack, averaging 3.33 kills per set and hit .372. As a team, SDSU hit .270 and averaged 2.21 blocks per set.
Stephen F. Austin went 1-2 in the Arkansas Invitational this past weekend. The Ladyjacks won their season opener, 3-0, over Tennessee State, but lost to Arkansas (3-0) and Michigan (3-1).
In addition to SFA, the Jackrabbits Invitational includes former Summit League foe Missouri-Kansas City and Valparaiso.
|Friday, Sept. 5
||Saturday, Sept. 6|
|10 a.m.||UMKC vs. Valparaiso||Noon||Stephen F. Austin vs. UMKC|
|Noon||South Dakota State vs. Stephen F. Austin||2 p.m.||South Dakota State vs. Valparaiso|
|5 p.m.||Valparaiso vs. Stephen F. Austin|
|7 p.m.||South Dakota State vs. UMKC|
Live Video, Stats
- Live video and stats for this weekend’s matches will be available on GoJacks.com.
- Fans of Jackrabbit Extra on GoJacks.com can watch all South Dakota State home matches and select road matches streaming live on the internet.
“The Jackrabbit Insider”
- Fans of SDSU athletics can get a weekly behind-the-scenes look at all 21 Jackrabbit sports teams by tuning into “The Jackrabbit Insider.”
- Hosted by Tyler Merriam, the show airs Sundays on MyUTV at 10:30 p.m., followed by broadcasts Sundays at 11 p.m. on KELOLAND-TV Tuesdays at 6 p.m.
Setting the Scene
- South Dakota State hosts the Jackrabbits Invitational for the fourth time since 2006. The Jacks are 6-2 in the event.
- The Jackrabbits have a 37-12 record in home openers and have won four of their last five home openers.
- Friday’s match will be the earliest home opener since the Jacks beat Montana State, 3-0, in 2007.
A Quick Glance at South Dakota State
- SDSU is off to its best start since 2011 when it went 3-1 in the SpringHill Suites Invitational in Statesboro, Ga.
- Head coach Phil McDaniel’s probable starters are senior Margit Hansing (1.73 kps, 2.45 dps), juniors Wagner Larson (1.50 kps, 1.17 bps), Carley Gerving (1.08 kps, 0.58 bps) and Lizzie Palmer (3.50 dps) and sophomores Tiara Gibson (2.33 kps, 1.00 bps) and Kacey Herrmann (2.10 kps, 1.10 dps).
- At the Hawk’s Holiday Hullabaloo, freshman Ashley Beaner led the Jacks in kills in each of the four matches. SDSU also hit above .300 in two matches.
- Fourteen Jackrabbits played in at least one set this past weekend.
This Weekend’s Opponents
Stephen F. Austin (1-2) - Stephen F. Austin opened its season on the road in the Arkansas Invitational with its lone win coming over Tennessee State, 25-20, 25-12, 25-23. The Ladyjacks lost in three sets to Arkansas and Michigan.
- Outside hitter Jill Ivy led SFA’s attack. The senior averaged 2.3 kills per set. Senior setter Paige Holland led the team defensively, recording 2.5 digs per set.
- The Ladyjacks are hitting .121 per set and allowing opponents to hit .238.
- Series vs. Stephen F. Austin - SFA leads 2-0.
- Last Meeting Aug. 27, 2011 - Stephen F. Austin handed the Jackrabbits their first loss of the season in the SpringHill Suites Invitational hosted by Georgia Southern in Statesboro, Ga. SDSU lost 25-17, 25-15 and 25-22.
Mary Caitlin Bottles led the Ladyjacks with 14 kills. Jill Ivy added 12 kills for SFA, which outhit the Jackrabbits, .295-.176 as a team.
Missouri-Kansas City (2-1) - UMKC enters this weekend’s matches with a two-match winning streak. The Kangaroos went 2-1 in the Omaha Classic, losing their season opener to Drake (3-2), but then beating Central Michigan (3-0) and Omaha (3-2).
- UMKC is led by right side hitter Sydney Crimmins and outside hitter Jessica Hendin. Crimmins is averaging 2.69 kills per set and hitting .223 and Hendin averages 2.46 kills per set and a team-best 3.85 digs per set
- Defensively, the Kangaroos are averaging 2.69 blocks per set.
- Series vs. UMKC - SDSU lead 10-4.
- Last Meeting Nov. 4, 2013 - South Dakota State’s Shay Birath had 13 digs to break the SDSU career digs record of 1,929, but the Jacks lost 3-1 (25-22, 25-21,16-25, 25-16) at UMKC.
Margit Hansing and Kaitlin Klingemann led the Jackrabbits on offense with 10 kills each. Hansing added 15 digs for her seventh double-double of the season, while Klingemann added a match-high six block assists.
Emily Lucas led three Kangaroos with double digit kills with 18. Emma Hagadorn added 14 and Jessica Hendin 12 kills. Lucas added 20 digs and Hendin 10 digs, while Taryn Miller led the UMKC defense with a match-high 29 digs.
Valparaiso (2-1) - Valparaiso went 2-1 at the NCCU Invitational in Durham, N.C., this past weekend. The Crusaders won their season opener, defeating Wofford, 3-1, and host North Carolina Central, 3-1, but lost to Campbell, 3-2.
- Outside hitter Emily Campbell is hitting .266 and averaging 3.67 kills per set. Libero Morganne Longoria tops the squad, averaging 4.56 digs per set.
- The Crusaders are hitting .229 and average 1.85 blocks per set.
- Series vs. Valpo - Series is tied at 1-1.
- Last Meeting Aug. 25, 2012 - South Dakota State dominated the second and third sets of the finale against Valparaiso at the Hawkeye Challenge, but the Crusaders fought hard enough to win the first, fourth and fifth sets to secure the 3-2 win by the set scores of 25-23, 15-25, 16-25, 25-18 and 15-8.
Morgan Beil led a trio of Valpo players with double figure kills with 12. Ellen Vanden Berg and Kelsey Victor both finished with 11. Taylor Root led the Crusader defense with 22 digs.