SDSU knocks off Omaha
The South Dakota State men's tennis team knocked off Omaha 4-1 on Saturday.
While the women's team clinched its first postseason berth in the morning, the men's team improved its conference standing with a win versus the Mavericks.
In doubles, SDSU scored the team point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3.
In singles, the Jacks won at the top three spots to close out the meet.
Boglić dominated the first set versus Tieszen 6-0, but was dead even in the second and third sets. Boglić was on the right end of the third set for a 7-6 win.
In the No. 2 slot, Lawley was a straight-sets winner versus Ellis. Lawley improved to 11-6 on the season and remained undefeated (2-0) in The Summit League with a 6-3, 6-4 win.
Moreira was also a straight-sets winner at No. 3 versus Larson. Moreira needed the least amount of games for the win at 6-1, 6-4.
Omaha scored its only point in a three-set win at No. 5 singles.
H. Pereira split the first two sets with McKnight and led in the third set when the meet reached decision. L. Pereira and Frost did not start at No. 6.
"The boys played a solid match overall," head coach Michael Engdahl said. "We had moments where we let them back in it, but we were able to overcome their push and come away with the win. At this level, we need to have focus and intensity for an entire match. We are dangerous when we play well. The most important thing is that we got the job done. We need to work on the energy this week as we prepare for Western Illinois and Fort Wayne."
SDSU upped its record to 9-10 overall and 2-1 in The Summit League. The Jacks are back in action next weekend versus Western Illinois. Start time is set for 3:30 p.m. on Friday in Macomb, Ill.
Next weekend's meets will determine the men's tennis qualifiers for The Summit League Championships.
SDSU 4, Omaha 1
1. Andrea Boglić def. Conner Tieszen, 6-0, 6-7, 7-6
2. Parker Lawley def. John Ellis, 6-3, 6-4
3. Mateus Moreira def. Connor Larson, 6-1, 6-4
4. Henrique Pereira vs. Eric McKnight, 3-6, 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
5. Carlos Ramos Salazar def. James Thorp, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Lucas Pereira vs. Matt Frost, did not start
1. Lawley/Boglić vs. Tieszen/Frost (UNO), 8-8, unfinished
2. Thorp/Moreira def. Ramos/Ellis (UNO), 8-5
3. L. Pereira/H. Pereira def. McKnight/Larson (UNO), 8-1