The South Dakota State women's tennis team continued its successful weekend with a 4-3 win at Northern Iowa in its second dual of the weekend.
The Jacks, now 4-5 on the season, needed every last match to secure the dual win on Saturday in Waterloo, Iowa.
UNI won the doubles point in dramatic fashion. After an 8-0 win at the top spot, the two teams played tiebreakers to determine the other two doubles matches.
Because of the doubles outcome, SDSU needed to win four of the six singles matches. And that is exactly what happened.
The Panthers won at No. 1 in straight sets and No. 3 in a full third set, but those were the only UNI wins.
Ffion Davies lined up at No. 2 and showed great resilience in a three-set win. Davies was shutout in the first set, but bounced back for a 6-4 win in the second. In the third, the two played even and decided the match in a tiebreaker. Davies scored a mini-break and held for a 7-6 (7-4) win.
The other SDSU players were straight-set winners.
"The girls should be so proud of the win today," head coach Michael Engdahl said. "We finally took the big step forward and got the close-match monkey off of our back. Not only that, but the way they bounced back from losing the close doubles point was great. We proved we can win a match in any number of ways and we have the fight and belief. It was a great win and the girls are ready for another big meet tomorrow."
SDSU is back in action in its weekend closer tomorrow versus Green Bay in Waterloo, Iowa. Start time was moved to 9 a.m. due to weather.
SDSU 4 - UNI 3
1. Phoebe Walker/Krissy Lankelma (UNI) d. Ffion Davies/Jenny Blackburne (SDSU) - 8-0
2. Chelsea Moore/Jessica King (UNI) d. Tacy Haws-Lay/Brooke Henry (SDSU) - 8-7 (10-8)
3. Beatriz Souza/Florencia Magni (SDSU) d. Katie Hammond/Lindsay Cayton (UNI) - 8-7 (7-5)
1. Phoebe Walker (UNI) d. Florencia Magni (SDSU) - 6-2, 6-1
2. Ffion Davies (SDSU) d. Krissy Lankelma (UNI) - 0-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Chelsea Moore (UNI) d. Jenny Blackburne (SDSU) - 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
4. Beatriz Souza (SDSU) d. Jessica King (UNI) - 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. Tacy Haws-Lay (SDSU) d. Lindsay Cayton (UNI) - 6-1, 6-0
6. Brooke Henry (SDSU) d. Katie Hammond (UNI) - 6-1, 6-0