Freshmen shine in Hawkeye state
IOWA CITY, IOWA - Day two of the Hawkeye Invitational saw a relay record fall and a freshman continue his dominance in the pool by setting another new mark, breaking his own school record.
In the men's 200 medley relay, Phil Albu, John Bisson, Chris Schreier and Jason Garder clocked in at 1 minute, 35.58 seconds to set a new SDSU record that was previously set exactly two weeks ago at the HPER Center Pool against South Dakota.
Schreier went on to best his own school record in the 100 butterfly twice on the day. His prelim time of 50.89 seconds broke the record that he set vs. USD (50.96 sec.) while his finals time of 50.66 seconds is now the new SDSU record.
The women end day one in sixth place with 124 points while the men are also in sixth with 85 points.
The third and final day of the Hawkeye Invitational is Sunday with the prelims starting at 10 a.m. and the finals getting under way at 4 p.m.
Women - Team Rankings - Through Day Two
1. Denver, University of 702.5 2. Iowa, University of 618
3. University of Illinois 582 4. Wisconsin, University of, Milw 250
5. Wisconsin, University of, Gree 238.5 6. South Dakota State University 85
7. Ohio State University 62 8. Notre Dame, University of 58
9. Northern Iowa, University of 54
Men - Team Rankings - Through Day Two
1. Iowa, University of 805 2. Notre Dame, University of 605
3. Denver, University of 506.5 4. Wisconsin, University of, Milw 348.5
5. Wisconsin, University of, Gree 143 6. South Dakota State University 124
7. Ohio State University 74