South Dakota State University football players Danny Batten and Kyle Minett have been named to the Associated Press Football Championship Subdivision All-America Team, which was announced Wednesday.
A senior defensive end from Gilbert, Ariz., Batten was named to his second All-America team this week as he earned second-team recognition from the AP. During the 2009 season, Batten led the Jackrabbits in both tackles for loss (17) and sacks (nine). The Missouri Valley Football Conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year and a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award as the top defensive player in the FCS ranks, Batten ranked second on the squad with 85 total tackles, while adding a forced fumble and pass breakup. He was named to the Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America Team on Monday.
Minett, a junior running back from Ruthton, Minn., ranks fifth in rushing in the Football Championship Subdivision with an average of 108.7 yards per game. He topped the 100-yard mark seven times during the 2009 season en route to 1,304 yards and 16 rushing touchdowns, becoming the first SDSU running back in 10 years to post back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. A second-team all-MVFC performer for the second consecutive season, Minett also caught 19 passes out of the backfield for 143 yards and a touchdown.
SDSU qualified for the FCS Playoffs for the first time during the 2009 season, finishing the year with an 8-4 overall record.
The entire Associated Press FCS All-America Team follows:
OFFENSE — FIRST TEAM
• Quarterback: Armanti Edwards, senior, 6-foot, 185 pounds, Appalachian State.
• Running Backs: Deji Karim, senior, 5-11, 205, Southern Illinois; Pat Paschall, senior, 6-0, 198, North Dakota State.
• Linemen: Derek Hardman, senior, 6-6, 300, Eastern Kentucky; Matt McCraken, senior, 6-3, 300, Richmond; Vladimir Ducasse, senior, 6-5, 330, Massachusetts; Jeff Hansen, senior, 6-4, 292, Montana State; Kyle Mutcher, senior, 6-3, 300, Weber State.
• Tight End: Clay Harbor, senior, 6-4, 243, Missouri State.
• Wide Receivers: Terrell Hudgins, senior, 6-2, 235, Elon; Marc Mariani, senior, 6-0, 185, Montana.
• All-Purpose: Matt Szczur, junior, 5-11, 195, Villanova.
• Kicker: Matt Bevins, sophomore, 6-2, 185, Liberty.
DEFENSE — FIRST TEAM
• Linemen: James Ruffin, senior, 6-4, 265, Northern Iowa; Arthur Moats, senior, 6-2, 250, James Madison; Austen Lane, senior, 6-6, 250, Murray State; Dane Fletcher, senior, 6-2, 242, Montana State.
• Linebackers: Brandin Jordan, senior, 5-11, 230, Southern Illinois; J.C. Sherritt, junior, 5-10, 220, Eastern Washington; Mike Morales, senior, 6-0, 230, UC Davis.
• Backs: Terrell Whitehead, senior, 6-2, 200, Norfolk State; Mark Legree, junior, 6-0, 200, Appalachian State; Jeromy Miles, senior, 6-2, 215, Massachusetts; Josh Morris, senior, 6-0, 180, Weber State.
• Punter: Jonathan Plisco, freshman, 6-0, 200, Old Dominion.
OFFENSE — SECOND TEAM
• Quarterback: Dominic Randolph, senior, Holy Cross.
• Running Backs: Chase Reynolds, junior, Montana; Toddrick Pendland, senior, McNeese State.
• Linemen: Benjamin Ijalana, junior, Villanova; Mario Acitelli, senior, Appalachian State; Johnny Culbreath, junior, South Carolina State; James Williams, senior, Harvard; Austin Steichen, senior, Northern Iowa.
• Tight End: Scott Sicko, senior, New Hampshire.
• Wide Receivers: Tysson Poots, junior, Southern Utah; Buddy Farnham, senior, Brown.
• All-Purpose: LeRoy Vann, senior, Florida A&M.
• Kicker: Craig Camay, senior, Chattanooga.
DEFENSE — SECOND TEAM
• Linemen: Danny Batten, senior, South Dakota State; Tim Knicky, senior, Stephen F. Austin; Adrian Tracy, senior, William & Mary; Larry Hart, senior, Central Arkansas.
• Linebackers: Matt Cohen, senior, Lehigh; Tyler Santucci, senior, Stony Brook; George Howard, senior, Morgan State.
• Backs: Charles Graves, senior, Delaware; Jason House, junior, Southern; Patrick Stoudamire, senior, Western Illinois; T.J. Heath, junior, Jacksonville State.
• Punter:- Jon Vanderwielen, senior, Idaho State.
OFFENSE — THIRD TEAM
• Quarterback: Matt Nichols, senior, Eastern Washington.
• Running Backs: James Mallory, senior, Central Connecticut; Kyle Minett, junior, South Dakota State.
• Linemen: Dorian Brooks, senior, James Madison; Will Rackley, senior, Lehigh; Levi Horn, senior, Montana; Joe Gibbs, senior, Tennessee-Martin; Austin Howard, senior, Northern Iowa.
• Tight End: John Sheffield, senior, Yale.
• Wide Receivers: Jason Caldwell, senior, Fordham; Juamorris Stewart, senior, Southern.
• All-Purpose: Taiwan Jones, sophomore, Eastern Washington.
• Kicker: Zach Kutch, senior, Illinois State.
DEFENSE — THIRD TEAM
• Linemen: Christian Anthony, senior, Grambling State; Tim Kukucka, senior, Villanova; Josh Beard, senior, Chattanooga; Mychal Savage, senior, Youngstown State.
• Linebackers: Wes McDermott, sophomore, Morehead State; Jake Lewko, senior, Penn; Jacque Roman, senior, Appalachian State.
• Backs: Anthony Beck, senior, Prairie View A&M; Justin Rogers, junior, Richmond; Korey Lindsey, junior, Southern Illinois; Josh Norman, sophomore, Coastal Carolina.
• Punter: Jahmal Blanchard, senior, Hampton.