South Dakota State University swimmer Phil Albu has earned a spot on the 10-member Capital One Men's At-Large Academic All-District 6 Team. He will advance to the national ballot for Academic All-America consideration later this month.
A junior from Charlie Lake, British Columbia, Albu was honored after posting a 3.94 grade-point average while majoring in software engineering and computer science. A school-record holder in the 50-, 100- and 200-yard backstroke events, Albu has won 24 career individual races over three seasons and has been part of 17 relay victories. A member of the Summit League All-Academic Team and Commissioner's List of Academic Excellence, he placed fourth int he 100 backstroke and ninth in the 200 backstroke at the 2013 Summit League Championships.
Albu is the 11th Jackrabbit student-athlete to be named to a Capital One Academic All-District Team during the 2012-13 academic year. Football player Zach Zenner and women's basketball player Ashley Eide each went on to receive Academic All-America recognition.
Selections to the Capital One Academic All-District 6 Team were determined by a vote of sports information directors in Arkansas, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Candidates must be at least a sophomore in athletic and academic standing, a starter or key reserve on his team and carry at least a 3.3 GPA.
The Capital One men's at-large academic team is made up of student-athletes competing in a wide variety of championship sports including: golf, tennis, swimming and diving, ice hockey, wrestling, volleyball, lacrosse, fencing, skiing, rifle and gymnastics.
2013 CAPITAL ONE MEN'S AT-LARGE ACADEMIC ALL-DISTRICT 6 TEAM
• Phil Albu, Jr., South Dakota State, Swimming, 3.94, Software Engineering/Computer Science
• Nathan Anderson, Sr., North Dakota State, Golf, 4.00, Accounting
• Garret Dunn, Sr., Iowa, Tennis, 3.99, Finance
• Johan Backstrom, Jr., Mississippi, Tennis, 3.90, Banking and Finance
• Austin Cook, Sr., Arkansas, 3.83, Biology
• Adrian Forberg Skogeng, Sr., Mississippi, Tennis, 3.87, Managerial Finance
• Drew LeBlanc, Sr., St. Cloud State, Ice Hockey, 3.64, Mathematics
• Nick Mattson, So., North Dakota, Ice Hockey, 4.0, Pre-Entrepreneuership
• Allen Salibasic, So., Drake (Iowa), Tennis, 4.00, International Business
• Kevin Steinhaus, Sr., Minnesota, Wrestling, 3.40, Kinesiology